Dayspring United Methodist Church, Tempe, Arizona seeks a part-time Organist (approximately 10 hours per week). We seek a talented and experienced church musician to participate in the vibrant music program at Dayspring, which includes two adult choirs, four soloists, children’s and youth choirs, and handbells. In addition to the Organist, Dr. Robert Mills serves as the church’s pianist and shares many of the keyboard duties with the Organist. The Organist reports to the Director of Music Ministries and coordinates with the Senior Pastor.
Principal responsibilities include:
- Plan and perform organ solo music for two Sunday services, 9:00 and 10:30 a.m., plus occasional special services (monthly Taizé, special Advent and Lenten events).
- Accompany choir rehearsals from time to time (currently Wednesdays, 7:00 – 9:00 pm). (This is typically done by the Pianist. Attendance at these rehearsals is helpful as we determine how the organ and piano will be used to accompany anthems.)
- Music includes preludes, hymns, offertories, communion, postludes, and short music bridges at various points in the service. Solo music is typically in rotation with the Pianist.
- Accompany the anthem in each service in coordination with the Choir Director and Pianist.
- Accompany soloists and special ensembles as needed.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished organist with substantial experience in traditional worship. They will be a team player in a music program that emphasizes collaboration, support of worship, and high musical standards. They will communicate promptly, including responding to emails and submitting bulletin information in a timely way. Sight-reading and improvisational skills are highly desirable.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Dayspring United Methodist Church is a Reconciling Congregation. All people, regardless of age, gender, race, color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status, or ability, are welcome into the full life of this congregation. https://dayspring-umc.org
To apply, please submit a resume, letter of interest and the contact information for three professional references to email@example.com.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. The new organist will begin promptly after being hired.